Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- AAIM Recommendations for the 2020-2021 internal medicine residency application cycle in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.Am J Med. 2020; 133: 1223-1226
- AAIM Principles and Recommendations for the 2021-2022 internal medicine residency interview cycle in response to the continued COVID-19 pandemic.Am J Med. 2021; 134: 1427-1431
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. AAIM Recommendations for the 2021-2022 internal medicine fellowship application cycle in response to the continued COVID-19 pandemic. Available at: https://www.im.org/resources/ume-gme-program-resources/resources-fellowship-application. Accessed April 26, 2022.
National Resident Matching Program. 2021 Applicant and Program Director Survey Findings: Impact of the Virtual Experience on the Transition to Residency Research Brief. Available at: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Research-Brief-Virtual-Experience-2021-FINAL.pdf. Accessed May 23, 2022.
Ponterio J, Levy L, Lakhi N. Evaluation of the virtual interview format for resident recruitment as a result of COVID-19 restrictions: residency program directors’ perspectives [e-pub ahead of print]. Acad Med. Accessed June 20, 2022.
- Virtual residency interviews: applicant perceptions regarding virtual interview effectiveness, advantages, and barriers.J Grad Med Educ. 2022; 14: 224-228
Association of American Medical Colleges. AAMC interview guidance for the 2022-2023 residency cycle. Available at:https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/-areas/medical-education/aamc-interview-guidance-2022-2023-residency-cycle. Accessed May 23, 2022.
- Virtual recruitment is here to stay: a survey of id fellowship program directors and matched applicants regarding their 2020 virtual recruitment experiences.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021; 8: ofab383
- A single center evaluation of applicant experiences in virtual interviews across eight internal medicine subspecialty fellowship programs.Med Educ Online. 2021; 261946237
- How we did it: virtual interviews with an eye toward the future.Am J Gastroenterol. 2021; 116: 1972-1975
Coalition for Physician Accountability. The Coalition for Physician Accountability's undergraduate medical education-graduate medical education review committee (UGRC): recommendations for comprehensive improvement of the UME-GME transition. Available at:https://physicianaccountability.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/UGRC-Coalition-Report-FINAL.pdf. Accessed May 23, 2022.
- Lessons learned: applicant equity and the 2020-2021 virtual interview season.Acad Radiol. 2021; 28: 1787-1791
- The carbon footprint of residency interview travel.J Grad Med Educ. 2021; 13: 89-94
- The carbon footprint of residency interviews.Acad Med. 2021; 96: 932
- Virtual residency interviews reduce cost and carbon emissions.J Urol. 2021; 206: 1353-1355
- A chance for reform: the environmental impact of travel for general surgery residency interviews.Can Med Educ J. 2021; 12: 8-18
- Trends in US internal medicine residency and fellowship applications during the COVID-19 pandemic vs previous years.JAMA Netw Open. 2021; 4e218199
- Virtual recruitment: experiences and perspectives of internal medicine program directors.Am J Med. 2022; 135: 258-263
Academic Medicine Blog. A new norm: the amplified stress of applying to residency. Available at:http://academicmedicineblog.org/a-new-norm-the-amplified-stress-of-applying-to-residency/. Accessed January 9, 2022.
- The residency application process: working well, needs fixing, or broken beyond repair?.J Grad Med Educ. 2016; 8: 307-310
- Calming troubled waters: a narrative review of challenges and potential solutions in the residency interview offer process.West J Emerg Med. 2020; 22: 1-6
- A framework for the virtual medical interview process: considerations for the applicant and interviewer.Ochsner J. 2022; 22: 61-70
- AAIM guidelines for interview and post-interview communication for graduate medical education recruitment.Am J Med. 2019; 132: 1106-1111
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. AAIM health disparities collaborative learning community: health disparities toolkit. Available at: https://www.im.org/resources/ume-gme-program-resources/resources-disparities. Accessed May 10, 2022.
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine. Interview and post-interview communication guidelines for GME: resources. Available at:https://www.im.org/resources/ume-gme-program-resources/post-interview-guidelines/post-interview-guidelines-new. Accessed April 27, 2022.
- The case for capping residency interviews.J Surg Educ. 2021; 78: 755-762
- A novel ticket system for capping residency interview numbers: reimagining interviews in the COVID-19 era.Acad Med. 2021; 96: 50-55
- Application fever: reviewing the causes, costs, and cures for residency application inflation.Cureus. 2021; 13: e13804
- COVID-19 and the ophthalmology match.Ophthalmology. 2021; 128: 181-184
- Can standardized dates for interview offers mitigate excessive interviewing?.J Surg Educ. 2021; 78: 1091-1096
- Perceptions of the universal interview offer day in the orthopaedic surgery residency interview process.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2022; 30: 586-593
- Stakeholder perspectives on standardizing the residency application and interview processes.J Surg Educ. 2021; 78: 1103-1110
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.