A 37-year-old Jamaican man presented to the Emergency Department for 2 months of increasing fatigue, left thigh pain, and difficulty ambulating. He had been living in the United States for the past 2 years. His medical history included iron deficiency anemia diagnosed in 2008 during a work health examination. He was placed on ferrous sulfate tablets without any additional work-up performed. At that time, he had been living in Jamaica and worked as a cruise ship chef. A year prior to presentation, he had undergone a single blood transfusion, which he attributed to his iron deficiency anemia.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Giant cell tumor of bone - an overview.Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2016; 4: 2-9
- Malignancy in giant cell tumor of bone: a review of the literature.Technol Cancer Res Treat. 2019; 181533033819840000
- Giant cell tumor of bone.Orthop Clin North Am. 2006; 37: 35-51
- Giant cell tumor of bone: review, mimics, and new developments in treatment.Radiographics. 2013; 33: 197-211
- Giant-cell tumour of bone: an analysis of fifty-two cases.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1972; 54: 216-229
- Giant cell tumor: curettage and bone grafting.Indian J Orthop. 2007; 41: 121-123
- Denosumab in patients with giant cell tumor and its recurrence: a systematic review.Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2018; 6: 260-268
- Denosumab in giant cell tumor of bone: current status and pitfalls.Front Oncol. 2020; 10580605
- Bisphosphonates reduce local recurrence in extremity giant cell tumor of bone: a case-control study.Bone. 2008; 42: 68-73
- Surgical downstaging in an open-label phase II trial of denosumab in patients with giant cell tumor of bone.Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22: 2860-2868
- Radiological findings of denosumab treatment for giant cell tumours of bone.Skeletal Radiol. 2020; 49: 1345-1358
Published online: July 07, 2022Robert G. Stern, MD, Section Editor
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: MO: acquisition of data, drafting the manuscript; NS: acquisition of data, drafting the manuscript; FK: revision of the manuscript; PR: revision of the manuscript.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.