A 55-year-old female presented with worsening shortness of breath, indigestion, and upper abdominal pain over the past few weeks. She had had symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease for many years that were well-controlled with esomeprazole. However, over the past month, her symptoms significantly worsened, and she began developing concomitant left upper quadrant and epigastric pain along with severe dyspnea on exertion to the point that she would have to stop several times when speaking long sentences to catch her breath.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Acquired post-pneumonectomy dextrocardia.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2004; 3: 25-27
- [Dextrocardia of post right pneumonectomy].Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi. 2006; 110 ([in Romanian]): 73-76
- Images in clinical medicine. Traumatic tension pneumothorax causing heart rotation.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: e30
- Combined spontaneous contralateral pneumothorax and post-pneumonectomy mediastinal shift-associated dextrocardia.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011; 59: 60-62
- Colon in the chest: an incidental dextrocardia: a case report study.Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94: e507
- Dynamic electrocardiographic changes due to cardiac compression by a giant hiatal hernia.Intern Med. 2005; 44: 136-140
- Twists and turns: an unusual intra-abdominal cause of heart failure.Am J Med. 2021; 134: e44-e45
Published online: August 02, 2021Mathew D. Hutchinson, MD, Section Editor
Conflict of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.