Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- Comorbidities in rheumatoid arthritis.Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2007; 21: 885-906
- Risk of osteoporotic fracture in a large population-based cohort of patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2010; 12: R154
- Clinical assessment of the long-term risk of fracture in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2006; 54: 3104-3112
- The epidemiology of corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis: a meta-analysis.Osteoporos Int. 2002; 13: 777-787
- Biologic therapies and bone loss in rheumatoid arthritis.Osteoporos Int. 2017; 28: 429-446
- Changes in hand and generalised bone mineral density in patients with recent-onset rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 330-336
- Bone mineral density in rheumatoid arthritis patients 1 year after adalimumab therapy: arrest of bone loss.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 373-376
- Bone loss in patients with active early rheumatoid arthritis: infliximab and methotrexate compared with methotrexate treatment alone. Explorative analysis from a 12-month randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 1898-1901
- Stable bone mineral density in lumbar spine and hip in contrast to bone loss in the hands during long-term treatment with infliximab in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 389-390
- Factors influencing fracture risk, T score, and management of osteoporosis in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in the Consortium of Rheumatology Researchers of North America (CORRONA) registry.J Clin Rheumatol. 2009; 15: 155-160
- Effects of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs on nonvertebral fracture risk in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based cohort study.J Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27: 789-796
- Initiation of tumor necrosis factor α antagonists and risk of fractures in patients with selected rheumatic and autoimmune diseases.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2013; 65: 1085-1094
- Biologic disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs and the risk of non-vertebral osteoporotic fractures in patients with rheumatoid arthritis aged 50 years and over.Osteoporos Int. 2013; 24: 2483-2492
- The Danish nationwide clinical register for patients with rheumatoid arthritis: DANBIO.Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 25: 737-742
Statistics Denmark. FOLK2: Population 1. January by sex, age, ancestry, country of origin and citizenship 1980-2021. Available at: https://www.statbank.dk/statbank5a/default.asp?w=1366. Accessed March 19, 2021.
- The Danish National Hospital Register. A valuable source of data for modern health sciences.Dan Med Bull. 1999; 46: 263-268
- The Danish National Patient Registry: a review of content, data quality, and research potential.Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 17: 449-490
- The Danish prescription registries.Dan Med Bull. 1997; 44: 445-448
- Validity and completeness of rheumatoid arthritis diagnoses in the nationwide DANBIO clinical register and the Danish National Patient Registry.Clin Epidemiol. 2017; 29: 627-632
- The validity of self-reported fractures among Danish female nurses: comparison with fractures registered in the Danish National Hospital Register.Scand J Public Health. 2004; 32: 136-143
- Graphical depiction of longitudinal study designs in health care databases.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 170: 398-406
- Prevalent new-user cohort designs for comparative drug effect studies by time-conditional propensity scores.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2017; 26: 459-468
- EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs: 2019 update.Ann Rheum Dis. 2020; 79: 685-699
- Evaluating medication effects outside of clinical trials: new-user designs.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 915-920
- Summary meeting report, 5-7 May 2004.World Health Organization, Brussels, Belgium2004: 9
- Reporting of covariate selection and balance assessment in propensity score analysis is suboptimal: a systematic review.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 112-121
Parsons LS. Paper 214-26: reducing bias in a propensity score matched-pair sample using greedy matching techniques. Available at: https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings/proceedings/sugi26/p214-26.pdf. Accessed March 19, 2021.
- FRAX and the assessment of fracture probability in men and women from the UK.Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 385-397
- Effect of tocilizumab on fatigue and bone mineral density in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Isr Med Assoc J. 2018; 20: 239-244
- The effect of tocilizumab on bone mineral density, serum levels of Dickkopf-1 and bone remodeling markers in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Joint Bone Spine. 2015; 82: 109-115
- The effect of tocilizumab on bone mineral density in patients with methotrexate-resistant active rheumatoid arthritis.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2014; 53: 900-903
- Evaluation of bone mineral density, bone metabolism, osteoprotegerin and receptor activator of the NfkappaB ligand serum levels during treatment with infliximab in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 1495-1499
- A 1-year case-control study in patients with rheumatoid arthritis indicates prevention of loss of bone mineral density in both responders and nonresponders to infliximab.Arthritis Res Ther. 2007; 9: R61
- Adalimumab therapy reduces hand bone loss in early rheumatoid arthritis: explorative analyses from the PREMIER study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2009; 68: 1171-1176
- Meta-analysis of tumor necrosis factor inhibitors and glucocorticoids on bone density in rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis trials.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2015; 67: 754-764
- Circulating Dickkopf-1 is correlated with bone erosion and inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis.J Rheumatol. 2011; 38: 821-827
- Low-dose oral glucocorticoid therapy and risk of osteoporotic fractures in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a cohort study using CPRD.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2022; 61: 1448-1458
- Concomitant use of oral glucocorticoids and proton pump inhibitors and risk of osteoporotic fractures among patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based cohort study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2021; 80: 423-431
- Impact of cumulative exposure to high-dose oral glucocorticoids on fracture risk in Denmark: a population-based case-control study.Arch Osteoporos. 2018; 13: 30
- Insufficiency fractures of the tibia and fibula.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 1999; 28: 413-420
- Medications associated with fracture risk in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019; 78: 1041-1047
- Metformin and the risk of cancer: time-related biases in observational studies.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 2665-2673
- The predictors of and reasons for non-adherence in an observational cohort of patients with rheumatoid arthritis commencing methotrexate.Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020; (59): 213-223
European Medicines Agency: The European Network of Centres for Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacovigilance (ENCePP). Guide on Methodological Standards in Pharmacoepidemiology (Revision 8). EMA/95098/2010. Available at: http://www.encepp.eu/standards_and_guidance. Accessed March 19, 2021.
Conflicts of Interest: SA, RC, JHMD report none. LD reports receiving grants/research support from BMS, honoraria from Eli Lilly, and support for attending meetings from UCB, Abvie, and Boehringer Engelheim. AB reports receiving research grants from Abbvie and honoraria for advisory boards from Abbvie and Galapagos. AMB is partially endowed by the ETH Foundation and the Swiss National Pharmacists Association (PharmaSuisse).
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.