A 34-year-old man presented with history of intermittent throbbing frontal headache of 3 months duration. A week prior to presentation he had an episode of severe headache associated with nausea and vomiting, requiring hospitalization and parenteral analgesics. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain done detected a pituitary macroadenoma and he was referred to the Endocrinology Department for clearance prior to surgery. On questioning he also gave history of cold intolerance, weight gain despite poor appetite, easy fatigability, and hoarseness of voice for the past year. He had a puffy face and spoke in a hoarse voice. He also had sinus bradycardia, diastolic hypertension, non-pitting pedal edema, and delayed relaxation of deep tendon jerks. The thyroid gland was not palpable.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pituitary hyperplasia.Hormones (Athens). 2003; 2: 149-158
- Pituitary hyperplasia: case series and literature review of an under-recognised and heterogeneous condition.Endocrinol Diabetes Metab Case Rep. 2015; 2015150017
- Pituitary hyperplasia from primary hypothyroidism.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: e9
- Pituitary enlargement in patients with primary hypothyroidism.Endocr Pract. 2006; 12: 29-34
- Serum prolactin levels in untreated primary hypothyroidism.Am J Med. 1978; 64: 782-787
- MRI in the differential diagnosis of a sellar mass.Clin Radiol. 2003; 58: 20-31
Published online: January 30, 2022Robert G. Stern, MD, Section Editor
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: VSS wrote the manuscript and managed the patient, AC edited the manuscript and conducted radiological study. Both authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.