A 40-year-old man presented to the Emergency Department with a few days of nausea and vomiting, myalgias, and decreased oral intake. He was found to be hypotensive and hypercalcemic at 2.90 mmol/L, with an albumin of 30 g/L.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sarcoidosis.N Engl J Med. 1997; 336: 1224-1234
- Typical and atypical pattern of pulmonary sarcoidosis at high-resolution CT: relation to clinical evolution and therapeutic procedures.Radiol Med. 2014; 119: 384-392
- Calcium and vitamin D metabolism in sarcoidosis.Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2013; 30: 113-120
- Vitamin D Conversion by Sarcoid Lymph Node Homogenate.Ann Intern Med. 1984; 100: 59
- Hypercalcemia as a result of sarcoidosis with normal serum concentrations of vitamin D.Med Sci Monit. 2007; 13: CS133-CS136
- Diagnosis and detection of sarcoidosis. An Official American Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2020; 201: e26-e51
- Endobronchial ultrasound-guided transbronchial needle aspiration vs conventional transbronchial needle aspiration in the diagnosis of sarcoidosis.Chest. 2014; 146: 547-556
- Endosonography vs conventional bronchoscopy for the diagnosis of sarcoidosis: the GRANULOMA randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2013; 309: 2457
- Endobronchial ultrasound for the diagnosis of pulmonary sarcoidosis.Chest. 2007; 132: 1298-1304
- Challenges of sarcoidosis and its management.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1018-1032
- Ketoconazole decreases the serum 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and calcium concentration in sarcoidosis-associated hypercalcemia.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1990; 70: 1090-1095
- The effects of chloroquine on serum 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and calcium metabolism in sarcoidosis.N Engl J Med. 1986; 315: 727-730
Published online: May 13, 2022Thomas J. Marrie, MD, Section Editor
Funding: None to disclose.
Conflicts of Interest: The authors have no competing interests to disclose.
Authorship: MW drafted the manuscript. All authors reviewed the manuscript and approved the submission of the final manuscript.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.