Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- Transgender stigma and health: a critical review of stigma determinants, mechanisms, and interventions.Soc Sci Med. 2015; 147: 222-231
- Transgender people: health at the margins of society.Lancet. 2016; 388: 390-400
- Acute and chronic psychological stress as risk factors for cardiovascular disease: insights gained from epidemiological, clinical, and experimental studies.Brain Behav Immun. 2015; 50: 18-30
- National Transgender Discrimination Survey Report on Health and Health Care.National Center for Transgender Equality and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, Washington, DC2010
- Stress and substance use among sexual and gender minority individuals across the lifespan.Neurobiol Stress. 2019; 10100146
- Is hormonal therapy associated with a better quality of life in transsexuals? A cross-sectional study.J Sex Med. 2012; 9: 531-541
- The levels and predictors of physical activity engagement within the treatment-seeking transgender population: a matched control study.J Phys Act Health. 2018; 15: 99-107
- Effect of sex steroid use on cardiovascular risk in transsexual individuals: a systematic review and meta-analyses.Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2010; 72: 1-10
- Cardiovascular disease among transgender adults receiving hormone therapy.Ann Intern Med. 2017; 167: 256-267
- Thrombotic issues in transgender medicine: a review.Am J Hematol. 2017; 92: 204-208
- Assessing and addressing cardiovascular health in LGBTQ adults: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 142: e321-e332
- A systematic review of cardiovascular disease in sexual minorities.Am J Public Health. 2017; 107: e13-e221
- 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the assessment of cardiovascular risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines.Circulation. 2014;; 129: S49-S73
- Development and validation of QRISK3 risk prediction algorithms to estimate future risk of cardiovascular disease: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2017; 357: j2099
- Tobacco product use and cessation indicators among adults – United States, 2018.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2019; 68: 1013-1019
National Institute of Mental Health. 2017 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Available at: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/report/2017-nsduh-annual-national-report. Accessed November 5, 2020.
Kessler RC, Chiu WT, Demler O, Merikangas KR, Walters EE. Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication. Arch Gen Psychiatry.2005;62(6):617-627.
- Diabetes Report Card 2017.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, US Dept of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2018 (Available at)Accessed April 26, 2021)
- Hypertension Cascade: Hypertension Prevalence, Treatment and Control Estimates Among US Adults Aged 18 Years and Older Applying the Criteria From the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association's 2017 Hypertension Guideline—NHANES 2013-2016.US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2019
Carroll MD, Fryar CD. Total and High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol in Adults: United States, 2015-2018. NCHS Data Brief, no 363. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db363.htm. Accessed April 26, 2021.
- Depression and coronary artery disease: the association, mechanisms, and therapeutic implications.J Psychiatry. 2009; 6: 38-51
- Understanding mental health for the prevention and control of cardiovascular disease.Glob Heart. 2015; 10: 221-224
- Mental disorders and cardiovascular disease among adults in the United States.J Psychiatr Res. 2009; 43: 239-246
- Screening for depression in adults: recommendation statement.Am Fam Physician. 2016; 94 (340A-340D)
- Collaborative care for patients with depression and chronic illnesses.N Engl J Med. 2012; 363: 2611-2620
Lambda Legal. When health care isn't caring: Lambda Legal's survey on discrimination against LGBT people and people living with HIV. 2010. Available at: https://www.lambdalegal.org/publications/when-health-care-isnt-caring. Accessed February 9, 2021.
- Sexual and gender minority health in medical curricula in New England: a pilot study of medical student comfort, competence and perception of curricula.Med Educ Online. 2018; 231461513
- Assessment of internal medicine resident preparedness to care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer/questioning patients.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 893-898
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing the manuscript.