A 43-year-old woman presented with a 3-month history of a nonproductive cough, intermittent, nonradiating, left-sided chest pain, and 2 episodes of small-volume hemoptysis. She also reported a lesion on her left arm that was present for 1 month. This lesion was similar to a prior lesion involving her right arm that had drained spontaneously. Additionally, she reported a 15-kg weight loss over the preceding year. She did not report fever, chills, night sweats, or dyspnea. She had a 10-pack-year smoking history, having quit smoking 3 years prior. She had no family history of malignancy. There had been no travel outside of Toronto, Canada. She did not report any history of exposure to tuberculosis or asbestos.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Beyond skin deep: thoracic manifestations of systemic disorders affecting the skin.Radiographics. 2011; 31: 1651-1668
- Imaging of pulmonary-cutaneous disorders: matching the radiologic and dermatologic findings.Radiographics. 1996; 16: 855-869
- Clinical and laboratory update on blastomycosis.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2010; 23: 367-381
- Computed tomographic scan evaluation of pulmonary blastomycosis.Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. 2009; 20: 112-116
- Imaging manifestations of blastomycosis: a pulmonary infection with potential dissemination.Radiographics. 2007; 27: 641-655
- Update on cutaneous tuberculosis.An Bras Dermatol. 2014; 89: 925-938
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae-induced cutaneous disease.Int J Dermatol. 2009; 48: 673-681
- Radiographic features of Mycoplasma pneumoniae pneumonia: differential diagnosis and performance timing.BMC Med Imaging. 2009; 9: 1-8
- Imaging manifestations of Kaposi sarcoma.Radiographics. 2006; 26: 1169-1185
- Melanoma: clinical presentations.Melanoma. 2016; : 107-129
- Cutaneous manifestations of lung cancer.Semin Oncol. 2016; 43: 366-369
- Diagnosis and classification of granulomatosis with polyangiitis (aka Wegener's granulomatosis).J Autoimmun. 2014; 48: 94-98
- The cutaneous spectrum of lupus erythematosus.Clin Rev Allergy Immunol. 2017; 53: 291-305
- Pulmonary manifestations of Sjögren syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, and mixed connective tissue disease.Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2015; 41: 263-277
- Epidemiologic aspects of blastomycosis, the enigmatic systemic mycosis.Semin Respir Infect. 1986; 1: 29-39
- Epidemiology and geographic distribution of blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, and coccidioidomycosis, Ontario, Canada, 1990–2015.Emerg Infect Dis. 2018; 24: 1257-1266
- Blastomycosis in Ontario, 1994-2003.Emerg Infect Dis. 2006; 12: 274-279
- Novel cases of blastomycosis acquired in Toronto, Ontario.CMAJ. 2000; 163: 1309-1312
- Blastomycosis acquired by three children in Toronto.Can J Infect Dis. 2002; 13: 259-263
- Blastomycosis.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2016; 30: 247-264
- Blastomycosis in immunocompromised patients.Medicine. 1993; 72: 311-325
- Ketoconazole therapy for endemic blastomycosis.Ann Intern Med. 1985; 103: 872-879
- Overwhelming pulmonary blastomycosis associated with the adult respiratory distress syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1231-1236
- Fungal infections.in: Tomashefski JF Cagle PT Farver CF Fraire AE Dail and Hammar's Pulmonary Pathology. Springer, New York2008: 349-425
- Blastomyces antigen detection for diagnosis and management of blastomycosis.J Clin Microbiol. 2015; 53: 3660-3662
- Cross-reactivity in Histoplasma capsulatum variety capsulatum antigen assays of urine samples from patients with endemic mycoses.Clin Infect Dis. 1997; 24: 1169-1171
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of blastomycosis: 2008 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: 1801-1812
Published online: May 27, 2022Thomas J. Marrie, MD, Section Editor
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had a role in writing the manuscript. WLG conceptualized the article, JT and JP drafted the initial manuscript, and all authors contributed to the writing and revision of the manuscript.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.