Abbreviations:ARDS (Acute respiratory distress syndrome), CT (Computed tomography), ECOG (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group), IPC (Indwelling pleural catheter), LENT (pleural fluid lactate dehydrogenase level, ECOG score, serum neutrophil to lymphocyte ratio, tumor type), PET (Positron emission tomography), VATS (Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- ERS/EACTS statement on the management of malignant pleural effusions.Eur Respir J. 2018; 521800349
Psallidas I, Kalomenidis I, Porcel JM, Robinson BW, Stathopoulos GT. Malignant pleural effusion: from bench to bedside. Eur Respir Rev. 2018;25(140):189-198. Erratum in:Eur Respir Rev. 2016;25(141):360.
- Malignant pleural infusions.(eds)in: Fishman AP Elias JA Fishman JA Grippi MA Senior RM Pack AI Fishman's Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders. McGraw Hill Medical, New York2008: 1505-1516 (4th ed)
- Malignant pleural effusion: from diagnostics to therapeutics.Clin Chest Med. 2018; 39: 181-193
- Pleural effusion in breast cancer: a review of the Nottingham experience.Eur J Surg Oncol. 1994; 20: 33-36
- Life expectancy of patients with malignant pleural effusion treated with video-assisted thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2006; 5: 307-310
- Contemporary best practice in the management of malignant pleural effusion.Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2018 Jan-Dec; 12https://doi.org/10.1177/1753466618785098
- Management of malignant pleural effusions.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000; 162: 1987-2001
- Thoracic ultrasound in the diagnosis of malignant pleural effusion.Thorax. 2009; 64: 139-143
- CT in differential diagnosis of diffuse pleural disease.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1990; 154: 487-492
- Accuracy of fluorodeoxyglucose-PET imaging for differentiating benign from malignant pleural effusions: a meta-analysis.Chest. 2015; 147: 502-512
- A prospective study of the volume of pleural fluid required for accurate diagnosis of malignant pleural effusion.Chest. 2009; 135: 999-1001
- Prospective study to determine the volume of pleural fluid required to diagnose malignancy.Chest. 2010; 137: 68-73
- The value of multiple fluid specimens in the cytological diagnosis of malignancy.Mod Pathol. 1994; 7: 665-668
- Challenges and controversies in the diagnosis of mesothelioma: Part 1. Cytology-only diagnosis, biopsies, immunohistochemistry, discrimination between mesothelioma and reactive mesothelial hyperplasia, and biomarkers.J Clin Pathol. 2013; 66: 847-853
- Investigation of a unilateral pleural effusion in adults: British Thoracic Society Pleural Disease Guideline 2010.Thorax. 2010; 65: ii4-ii17
- Physician-based ultrasound-guided biopsy for diagnosing pleural disease.Chest. 2014; 146: 1001-1006
- Local anaesthetic thoracoscopy: British Thoracic Society Pleural Disease Guideline 2010.Thorax. 2010; 65: ii54-ii60
- Predicting survival in malignant pleural effusion: development and validation of the LENT prognostic score.Thorax. 2014; 69: 1098-1104
- Surgical and non-surgical management of malignant pleural effusions.Expert Rev Respir Med. 2018; 12: 15-26
- Management of a malignant pleural effusion: British Thoracic Society Pleural Disease Guideline 2010.Thorax. 2010; 65: ii32-ii40
- Current controversies in the management of malignant pleural effusions.Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2014; 35: 723-731
- Individualised management of malignant pleural effusion.Lancet Respir Med. 2015; 3: 505-506
- Efficacy and safety of tunneled pleural catheters in adults with malignant pleural effusions: a systematic review.J Gen Intern Med. 2011; 26: 70-76
- Effect of an indwelling pleural catheter vs chest tube and talc pleurodesis for relieving dyspnea in patients with malignant pleural effusion: the TIME2 randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2383-2389
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic (VATS) pleurodesis for malignant effusion: an Australian teaching hospital's experience.Heart Lung Circ. 2005; 14: 93-97
- Long-term follow-up of video-assisted talc pleurodesis in malignant recurrent pleural effusions.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2002; 21: 302-306
- The long-term morbidity of pleuroperitoneal shunts in the management of recurrent malignant effusions.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2000; 18: 143-146
- Effect of an indwelling pleural catheter vs talc pleurodesis on hospitalization days in patients with malignant pleural effusion: the AMPLE randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1903-1912
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: This manuscript has no relevant disclosures in the form of grants, gifts, or other forms of financial support.
Conflicts of Interest: The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose. The author has no relationships with industry.
Authorship: The sole author had access to the data and is responsible for writing the manuscript.