Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- Urinary tract infection in older adults.Aging Health. 2013; 9 (10.2217/ahe.13.38)
Ariathianto Y. ASB prevalence in the elderly population. Available at: https://www.racgp.org.au/getattachment/66a9be6e-7d56-43f6-8624-3b9c32dc3dfc/Asymptomatic-bacteriuria.aspx. Accessed January 27, 2022.
- Urinary infections in the elderly: symptomatic of asymptomatic?.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 1999; 11: 265-268https://doi.org/10.1016/s0924-8579(99)00028-x
- IDSA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of ASB in adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 40: 643-654
Nicolle LE, Gupta K, Bradley SF, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the management of ASB: 2019 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Available at: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/68/10/e83/5407612. Accessed January 27, 2022.
- Asymptomatische Bakteriurie [ASB].Med Klin (Munich). 2000; 95: 195-200https://doi.org/10.1007/pl00002106
- ASB (ABU) in elderly: prevalence, virulence, phylogeny, antibiotic resistance and complement C3 in urine.Microorganisms. 2021; 9: 390https://doi.org/10.3390/microorganisms9020390
- ASB in adults.Am Fam Physician. 2006; 74: 985-990
- ASB among the patients of type 2 diabetes mellitus.J Family Med Prim Care. 2019; 8: 539-543https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_403_18
- A prospective microbiologic study of bacteriuria in patients with chronic indwelling urethral catheters.J Infect Dis. 1982; 146: 719-723
- Clinically inapparent (asymptomatic) bacteriuria in ambulatory elderly men: epidemiological, clinical, and microbiological findings.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1990; 38: 1209-1214
- Effect of a multifaceted intervention on number of antimicrobial prescriptions for suspected urinary tract infections in residents of nursing homes: cluster randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2005; 331: 669https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.38602.586343.55
- Evaluating a hospitalist-based intervention to decrease unnecessary antimicrobial use in patients with ASB.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1044-1051https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2016.119
- Educational intervention to reduce treatment of ASB in long-term care.BMJ Open Qual. 2018; 7e000483https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjoq-2018-000483
- Impact of a pharmacist-driven education initiative on treatment of ASB.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2019; 76: S41-S48https://doi.org/10.1093/ajhp/zxy081
- Impact of antimicrobial stewardship interventions on antimicrobial utilization in ASB.Hosp Pharm. 2021; 56: 210-214https://doi.org/10.1177/0018578719888911
- Evaluation of an antimicrobial stewardship approach to minimize overuse of antibiotics in patients with ASB.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 193-195https://doi.org/10.1086/674848
- Reducing antimicrobial therapy for ASB among noncatheterized inpatients: a proof-of-concept study.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 980-983https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciu010
- Impact of changes in urine culture ordering practice on antimicrobial utilization in intensive care units at an academic medical center.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 448-454https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2015.334
- Urinary tract infections in solid organ transplant recipients: guidelines from the American Society of Transplantation Infectious Diseases Community of Practice.Clin Transplant. 2019; 33: e13507https://doi.org/10.1111/ctr.13507
- Delirium in elderly patients: evaluation and management.Mayo Clin Proc. 1995; 70: 989-998
- Prevalence, impact, and management strategies for ASB in the acute care elderly patient: a review of the current literature.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2020; 18: 453-460https://doi.org/10.1080/14787210.2020.1746642
- Inappropriate treatment of catheter-associated ASB in a tertiary care hospital.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 48: 1182-1188https://doi.org/10.1086/597403
- Potentially inappropriate treatment of urinary tract infections in two Rhode Island nursing homes.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 438-443https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2011.13
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). CDC partners estimate healthcare cost of antibiotic-resistant infections. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/solutions-initiative/stories/partnership-estimates-healthcare-cost.html. Published Accessed January 27, 2022.
- An implementation guide to reducing overtreatment of ASB.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 271-276https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.7290
- Evaluation of evidence-based urinalysis reflex to culture criteria: Impact on reducing antimicrobial usage.Int J Infect Dis. 2021; 102: 40-44https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2020.09.1471
- Decreasing treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria: An interprofessional approach to antibiotic stewardship.Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management. 2019;
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: Both authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.