Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- Trends in the concomitant prescribing of opioids and benzodiazepines, 2002-2014.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 151-160
- Understanding the co-occurrence of anxiety disorders and chronic pain: state-of-the-art.Depress Anxiety. 2009; 26: 888-901
- Comorbidity of pain and anxiety disorders.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2008; 10: 318-322
- Association between concurrent use of prescription opioids and benzodiazepines and overdose: retrospective analysis.BMJ. 2017; 356: j760
- An examination of concurrent opioid and benzodiazepine prescribing in 9 states, 2015.Am J Prev Med. 2019; 57: 629-636
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Concurrent use of opioids and benzodiazepines in a Medicare Part D population. May 12, 2016. Available at:https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/Downloads/Concurrent-Use-of-Opioids-and-Benzodiazepines-in-a-Medicare-Part-D-Population-CY-2015.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2022.
- Association between benzodiazepine use with or without opioid use and all-cause mortality in the United States, 1999-2015.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e2028557
- Association of opioid and benzodiazepine use with adverse respiratory events in older adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2019; 16: 1245-1251
- Benzodiazepines in combination with opioid pain relievers or alcohol: greater risk of more serious ED visit outcomes.The CBHSQ Report. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2014
- Benzodiazepine prescribing patterns and deaths from drug overdose among US veterans receiving opioid analgesics: case-cohort study.BMJ. 2015; 350: h2698
- Alcohol or benzodiazepine co-involvement with opioid overdose deaths in the United States, 1999-2017.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e202361
- Concurrent use of opioids with other central nervous system-active medications among older adults.Popul Health Manag. 2020; 23: 286-296
- CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain – United States, 2016.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2016; 65: 1-49
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA requires strong warnings for opioid analgesics, prescription opioid cough products, and benzodiazepine labeling related to serious risks and death from combined use. August 31, 2016. Available at:https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-requires-strong-warnings-opioid-analgesics-prescription-opioid-cough-products-and-benzodiazepine. Accessed June 8, 2021.
- Rates of physician coprescribing of opioids and benzodiazepines after the release of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Guidelines in 2016.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2: 1-14
- Opioid prescribing in the United States before and after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's 2016 Opioid Guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 367-375
- Gabapentin and pregabalin for pain - is increased prescribing a cause for concern?.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 411-414
- Gabapentinoid use in the United States 2002 through 2015.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 292-294
- Antidepressant use among adults: United States, 2015-2018.NCHS Data Brief. 2020; : 1-8
- Multimodal pain control in adolescent posterior spinal fusion patients: a double-blind, randomized controlled trial to validate the effect of gabapentin on postoperative pain control, opioid use, and patient satisfaction.Spine Deform. 2020; 8: 177-185
- Gabapentin for chronic neuropathic pain in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 6CD007938
- Escitalopram for older adults with generalized anxiety disorder: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2009; 301: 295-303
- Efficacy and safety of duloxetine in the treatment of older adult patients with generalized anxiety disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2014; 29: 978-986
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor discontinuation syndrome: a randomized clinical trial.Biol Psychiatry. 1998; 44: 77-87
- How addictive are gabapentin and pregabalin? A systematic review.Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2017; 27: 1185-1215
- Associations between gabapentinoids and suicidal behaviour, unintentional overdoses, injuries, road traffic incidents, and violent crime: population based cohort study in Sweden.BMJ. 2019; 365: l2147
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor and selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor use and risk of fractures in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2018; 33: 1688-1708
- Dual-trajectories of opioid and gabapentinoid use and risk of subsequent drug overdose among Medicare beneficiaries in the United States: a retrospective cohort study.Addiction. 2021; 116: 819-830
- Opioid analgesic drugs and serotonin toxicity (syndrome): mechanisms, animal models, and links to clinical effects.Arch Toxicol. 2018; 92: 2457-2473
U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). FDA warns about several safety issues with opioid pain medicines; requires label changes. Published 2016. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-warns-about-several-safety-issues-opioid-pain-medicines-requires. Accessed June 8, 2021.
- Trends in gabapentinoid prescribing, co-prescribing of opioids and benzodiazepines, and associated deaths in Scotland.Br J Anaesth. 2020; 125: 159-167
- Mortality and concurrent use of opioids and hypnotics in older patients: a retrospective cohort study.PLoS Med. 2021; 18e1003709
- Unintentional prescription drug overdose deaths in New Mexico, 1994-2003.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 30: 423-429
- Drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths – United States, 2013-2017.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018; 67: 1419-1427
Chronic Conditions Data Warehouse. Condition categories. Available at: https://www2.ccwdata.org/web/guest/condition-categories. Accessed April 14, 2021.
- Association of disability with mortality from opioid overdose among US Medicare adults.JAMA Netw Open. 2019; 2e1915638
- Defining and measuring chronic conditions: imperatives for research, policy, program, and practice.Prev Chronic Dis. 2013; 10: E66
- Prescription opioid duration of action and the risk of unintentional overdose among patients receiving opioid therapy.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 608-615
- Concomitant use of buprenorphine for medication-assisted treatment of opioid use disorder and benzodiazepines: using the prescription behavior surveillance system.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018; 187: 221-226
- Exposure-response association between concurrent opioid and benzodiazepine use and risk of opioid-related overdose in Medicare Part D beneficiaries.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e180919
WISQARS; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Leading causes of death reports, 1981-2019. Published 2021. Available at: https://wisqars.cdc.gov/fatal-leading. Accessed August 1, 2021.
Choosing Wisely: An Initiative of the ABIM Foundation. Available at: https://www.choosingwisely.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Choosing-Wisely-Recommendations.pdf. Accessed July 28, 2021.
The Overdose Response Strategy. 2019 Annual Report. Published 2019. Available at: https://www.hidtaprogram.org/pdf/ors_report_2019.pdf. Accessed August 1, 2021.
- Association of occupational and physical therapy with duration of prescription opioid use after hip or knee arthroplasty: a retrospective cohort study of Medicare enrollees.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2021; 102: 1257-1266
- The epidemiology of benzodiazepine misuse: a systematic review.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2019; 200: 95-114
- Double screening for dual disorder, alcoholism and depression.Psychiatry Res. 2018; 270: 483-489
- Psychiatric comorbidities in alcohol use disorder.Lancet Psychiatry. 2019; 6: 1068-1080
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration (SAMHSA). Treatment Considerations for Youth and Young Adults with Serious Emotional Disturbance and Serious Mental Illiness and Co-occurring Substance Use. Published 2021. Available at: https://store.samhsa.gov/sites/default/files/SAMHSA_Digital_Download/pep20-06-02-001.pdf. Accessed August 1, 2021.
Social Security Administration. Annual Statistical Report on the Social Security Disability Insurance Program, 2019. Published 2020. Available at: https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcomps/di_asr/2019/di_asr19.pdf. Accessed July 28, 2021.
- Opioid prescribing among adults with disabilities in the United States after the 2014 Federal Hydrocodone Rescheduling Regulation.Public Health Rep. 2020; 135: 114-123
- Dopamine D2 receptors in addiction-like reward dysfunction and compulsive eating in obese rats.Nat Neurosci. 2010; 13: 635-641
- Sensitivity and specificity of the National Death Index for multiple causes of death in people with HIV.Public Health Rep. 2021; 136: 595-602
Funding: Y-FK and MAR are supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (R01‐DA039192; Kuo, Raji, MPI). The content is solely the authors' responsibility and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. XY is supported by a research career development award (K12HD052023: Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women's Health Program-BIRCWH; Berenson, PI) from the National Institutes of Health/Office of the Director (OD)/National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), and Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NICHD).
Conflicts of Interest: All the authors listed on the manuscript have fulfilled the criteria for authorship, reviewed and approved the paper, and attested to the integrity of this paper. We have no conflict of interest. The sponsors had no role in the design, methods, subject recruitment, data collection, analysis, or preparation of this manuscript.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and all the authors had a key role in writing the manuscript.