Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
- Osteoclast formation, survival and morphology are highly dependent on exogenous cholesterol/lipoproteins.Cell Death Differ. 2004; 11: S108-S118
- Vitamin D status and its association with cardiometabolic risk factors in Korean adults based on a 2008–2010 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.Nutr Res Pract. 2013; 7: 495-502
- New insights into osteoporosis: the bone-fat connection.J Intern Med. 2012; 272: 317-329
- Metabolomic profiles associated with bone mineral density in US Caucasian women.Nutr Metab (Lond). 2018; 15: 57
- Osteoporosis, vertebral fractures and metabolic syndrome in postmenopausal women.BMC Endocr Disord. 2014; 14: 93
- Obesity and fracture in men and women: an epidemiologic perspective.J Bone Miner Res. 2012; 27: 1-10
- Diabetes mellitus and risk of skeletal fracture.N Engl J Med. 1981; 304: 115-116
- Cardiovascular diseases and risk of hip fracture.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1666-1673
- The associations of subclinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease with hip fracture risk and bone mineral density in elderly adults; the Cardiovascular Health Study.Osteoporos Int. 2018; 29: 2219-2230
- Lower bone mass is associated with subclinical atherosclerosis, endothelial dysfunction and carotid thickness in the very elderly.Atherosclerosis. 2020; 292: 70-74
- Effects of statins on bone mineral density and fracture risk: a PRISMA-compliant systematic review and meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2016; 95: e3042
- Uptake of postprandial lipoproteins into bone in vivo: impact on osteoblast function.Bone. 2008; 43: 230-237
- Dual effects of lipid metabolism on osteoblast function.Front Endocrinol. 2020; 11578194
- Effects of bioactive lipids and lipoproteins on bone.Trends Endocrinol Metabol. 2014; 25: 53-58
- Lipid metabolism disorders and bone dysfunction–interrelated and mutually regulated (review).Mol Med Rep. 2015; 12: 783-794
- Lipid profile and risk of bone fracture: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.Endocr Res. 2019; 44: 168-184
- The Cardiovascular Health Study: design and rationale.Ann Epidemiol. 1991; 1: 263-276
- Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of lipoproteins and risk of coronary heart disease in the cardiovascular health study.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2002; 22: 1175-1180
- Prevalence of subclinical atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease and association with risk factors in the Cardiovascular Health Study.Am J Epidemiol. 1994; 139: 1164-1179
- Laboratory methods and quality assurance in the Cardiovascular Health Study.Clin Chem. 1995; 41: 264-270
- Frailty in older adults: evidence for a phenotype.Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2001; 56: M146-M156
- Re-randomization tests in clinical trials.Stat Med. 2019; 38: 2292-2302
- Osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease: brittle bones and boned arteries, is there a link?.Endocrine. 2004; 23: 1-10
- Extreme high high-density lipoprotein cholesterol is paradoxically associated with high mortality in men and women: two prospective cohort studies.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2478-2486
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol and mortality: too much of a good thing?.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2018; 38: 669-672
- Blood lipid levels in patients with osteopenia and osteoporosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Bone Miner Metab. 2021; 39: 510-520
- Association between lipid profiles and osteoporosis in postmopausal women: a meta-analysis.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2018; 22: 1-9
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism and bone mass.J Endocrinol. 2017; 233: R95-R107
- HDL cholesterol and bone mineral density: is there a genetic link?.Bone. 2012; 50: 525-533
- The effect of plasma lipids and lipid-lowering interventions on bone mineral density: a Mendelian randomization study.J Bone Miner Res. 2020; 35: 1224-1235
Engelen SE, Robinson AJB, Zurke YX, Monaco C. Therapeutic strategies targeting inflammation and immunity in atherosclerosis: how to proceed? [e-pub ahead of print]Nat Rev Cardiol 2022;31:1–21. https://10.1038/s41569-021-00668-4, accessed 18 June 2022.
- Interrelationship of triglycerides with lipoproteins and high-density lipoproteins.Am J Cardiol. 1990; 66: 20A-23A
- Features of the metabolic syndrome and the risk of non-vertebral fractures: the Tromso study.Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 426-432
- Association between metabolic syndrome and incident fractures in Korean men: a 3-year follow-up observational study using national health insurance claims data.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 1615-1622
- Triglyceride levels and fracture risk in midlife women: Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN).J Clin Endocrinol Metabol. 2016; 101: 3297-3305
- Associations between baseline risk factors and vertebral fracture risk in the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Study.J Bone Mineral Res. 2004; 19: 764-772
Funding: This research was supported by contracts HHSN268201200036C , HHSN268200800007C , HHSN268201800001C , N01HC55222 , N01HC85079 , N01HC85080 , N01HC85081 , N01HC85082 , N01HC85083 , N01HC85086 , 75N92021D00006 , and grants U01HL080295 and U01HL130114 from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) , with additional contribution from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) . Additional support was provided by R01AG023629 from the National Institute on Aging (NIA) . A full list of principal CHS investigators and institutions can be found at CHS-NHLBI.org. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health.
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.