A 37-year-old woman reported a yellowish discoloration over her nose, cheeks, and earlobes for the last 5 years, with newer lesions appearing on her forearms over the last year. She was perturbed by its appearance but otherwise asymptomatic and was systemically well. Examination revealed a large symmetrical confluent yellow plaque over the nasal bridge extending to both cheeks, sparing the lower eyelids and nasolabial folds, in a striking mask-like distribution, reminiscent of a thick layer of foundation (Figures 1A and B). Similar yellow plaques were noted over the left upper eyelid, both earlobes, and her anterior forearms. The intertriginous areas and palmar creases were spared.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Dermal, subcutaneous, and tendon xanthomas: diagnostic markers for specific lipoprotein disorders.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1988; 19: 95-111
- Pathognomonic palmar crease xanthomas of apolipoprotein E2 homozygosity-familial dysbetalipoproteinemia.JAMA Dermatol. 2016; 152: 1275-1276
- Type III hyperlipoproteinemia with xanthomas and multiple myeloma.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005; 53: S281-S284
- Regression of xanthelasmas with statin treatment in a normolipidemic patient.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 172: 701-702
- Treatment of diffuse plane xanthoma of the face with the Erbium:YAG laser.Arch Dermatol. 2001; 137: 1413-1415
- Treatment of diffuse planar xanthoma of the face after one session of 1,444-nm neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet laser.Ann Dermatol. 2015; 27: 769-770
Published online: March 31, 2022Uma Paniker, MD, Section Editor
Conflicts of Interest: None.
Authorship: All authors had access to the data and a role in writing this manuscript.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.